A multi-parametric MRI of the prostrate not only makes it possible to detect prostate cancer at an early stage, but can also exclude the presence of prostate carcinoma with a high probability. The method is presently regarded as the most sensitive procedure for detecting suspicious changes related to prostate cancer.
About the appointment
MRI imaging for prostate cancer
Important for early detection and therapy support
A multi-parametric MRI of the prostrate not only makes it possible to detect prostate cancer at an early stage, but can also exclude the presence of prostate carcinoma with a high probability. The method is presently regarded as the most sensitive procedure for detecting changes.
European Society of Urogenital Radiology
Respective MRI protocols for a multi-parametric MRI of the prostate are applied according to the guidelines of the European Society of Urogenital Radiology (ESUR).
In addition to the acquisition of data, ESUR also stipulates standardised findings (PI-RADS classification). The prostate and its surrounding area are evaluated according to each of the prescribed MR parameters and summarised in the form of a total score.
Personalised diagnostics of the prostate
Renowned gender radiologists Univ. Prof. Dr. Thomas Helbich and Assoc. Prof. Dr. Pascal Baltzer – at the Bellaria location – have developed an examination concept that is specifically customised to your needs, which makes it possible to deliver a quality-assured and reliable diagnosis. Examination results will be discussed in a final, personal consultation.
Well-informed in all matters
Requirements for an MRI of the prostate
- Please bring your e‑card and referral.
- Any previous findings are also to be submitted.
- Please bring the results of your last PSA value with you to the examination.
- Impaired ability to drive following the examination.
- COVID: The chief physician’s approval has currently been waived.
- It is not possible to perform an MRI of the skull on persons wearing a pacemaker.
- Prior clarification is required in case you have any implants.
- Piercings, jewellery and watches must be removed.
- A contrast agent is injected intravenously depending on the condition.
Procedure for an MRI of the prostate
- An MRI of the prostate takes about 15 minutes.
- The examination is completely painless.
- Earplugs dampen the sounds of the MRI machine.
- An emergency bell and intercom system are also available.
- It is absolutely necessary for you to lie still so that we can generate high-quality images. Please let us know if you suffer from claustrophobia.