This tracer is primarily used for the diagnostic clarification of medullary thyroid cancer (MTC), for phaeochromocytomas as well as in case of a suspected congenital hyperinsulinaemia.
About the appointment
Gentle high-tech diagnostics
Special tracer for medullary thyroid cancer (MTC), for phaeochromocytomas as well as in case of a suspected congenital hyperinsulinaemia
How F-18 DOPA works
Neuroendocrine tumour cells exhibit an increased activity of the enzyme DOPA decarboxylase, which catalyses the conversion of the amine precursor DOPA into biogenic dopamine.
Nuclear medicine takes advantage of this principle as it uses radio-labelled F‑18 DOPA for the quantitative assessment of the activity of DOPA decarboxylase in a certain area of the body (tumour).
Well-informed in all matters
Requirements for an DOPA PET-CT
- Examination costs are not covered by statutory health insurers. Some private health insurers cover parts of the costs, and you should certainly submit our fee note to your private health insurer.
- An individual tracer is produced for your examination depending on the medical condition.
- If you are unable to keep the appointment, we would like to ask you to inform us at the latest by noon on the previous day; a cancellation fee will otherwise be charged.
- Please bring any previous findings and images to your examination.
- Please arrive at the examination nil by mouth. You should have had your last meal the night before the examination.
- Drink plenty of water one hour before the examination.
- A possible pregnancy must be ruled out.
- Please inform us while making the appointment if you are a nursing mother so that we can discuss the further procedure with you.
- Contact with pregnant women and toddlers should be avoided on the day of the examination.
Procedure for a DOPA PET-CT
- We inject a small dose of radioactive tracer substance that has been specifically prepared for your examination.
- Images are taken 15 and 60 minutes after the injection of the tracer.
- The scanning process takes about 20 minutes.
- You should drink plenty of liquids post-examination in order to accelerate the excretion of the tracer.
Please let us know if you suffer from claustrophobia
Possible side effects
- The injection of the radioactive tracer is not expected to cause any side effects.
- However, side effects may result from the administration of the iodine-containing contrast agent within the context of a possible accompanying contrast agent-guided computer tomography (intolerance reaction, hyperthyroidism, exacerbation of pre-existing renal insufficiency).
- Please be sure to let us know within the context of the informed consent discussion if you have previously had a reaction to contrast agents (skin redness, itching, swelling, shortness of breath, etc.).
Costs & reimbursement
PET-CTs are currently not listed within the benefits catalogue of statutory health insurers and therefore only covered through private health insurance.
Our fee notes can be submitted in any case to all private health insurers that cover outpatient services.
Various tracers are used depending on the condition. We will gladly inform you about the costs during a personal consultation.
We ask you to, at the latest, cancel your appointment at noon on the day before the examination since tracers are specifically prepared for each examination.
A cancellation fee is charged in case of late appointment cancellation or if the examination cannot be performed.//