The salivary glands as well as the size and structure of the thyroid gland can be examined with a special high-resolution ultrasonic probe. Swellings of the neck lymph nodes and carotid artery (carotid artery duplex) can be visualised and evaluated.
About the appointment
Well-informed in all matters
Requirements for an ultrasound of the head/neck
- Please bring your e‑card and referral from your doctor to the examination.
- Any previous findings are also to be submitted.
- Please arrive 15 minutes early to your appointment.
- No special preparation is required for an ultrasound performed in this bodily area.
Procedure for an ultrasound of the head/neck
- An ultrasound of the head/neck takes between 5 and 15 minutes.
- It is completely painless.
- The patient assumes a lying or sitting position.
- A gel is applied to the bodily region to be examined.
- The radiologist slides the ultrasonic probe over the examination area as ultrasonic images are captured.