Benign and malignant tumours, especially in the apex of the lung and the mediastinum as well as changes and pathways of the major arteries can be depicted with this type of scan.
About the appointment
We offer this examination at the following locations in Vienna.
Well-informed in all matters
Requirements for an MRI of the chest area
- Please bring your e‑card and referral.
- Any previous findings are also to be submitted.
- COVID: The chief physician’s approval has currently been waived.
- It is not possible to perform an MRI of the chest area on persons wearing a pacemaker.
- Prior clarification is required in case you have any implants.
- Piercings, jewellery and watches must be removed.
- A contrast agent is injected intravenously depending on the condition.
Procedure for an MRI of the chest area
- A thoracic MRI takes about 15 minutes.
- The examination is completely painless.
- You assume a supine position while your chest is inside the magnetic tube. The tube is illuminated, ventilated and also has a viewing window.
- You will be given commands over headphones, which also dampen the sounds of the MRI machine.
- An emergency bell and intercom system are also available.
- It is absolutely necessary for you to lie still so that we can generate high-quality images. Please let us know if you suffer from claustrophobia.