Inflammatory and tumorous diseases in the abdomen (gallbladder and urinary tract, pancreas, liver, kidney, genitalia) can be examined with this type of scan.
About the appointment
We offer this examination at the following locations in Vienna.
Well-informed in all matters
Requirements for an MRI of the abdomen
- Please bring your e‑card and referral.
- Any previous findings are also to be submitted.
- COVID: The chief physician’s approval has currently been waived.
- For examinations of the upper abdomen, please do not eat or smoke and only drink still water 3 hours prior to the examination.
- It is not possible to perform an MRI of the skull on persons wearing a pacemaker.
- Prior clarification is required in case you have any implants.
- Piercings, jewellery and watches must be removed.
- A contrast agent is injected intravenously depending on the condition.
Procedure for an MRI of the abdomen
- An abdominal MRI takes about 15 minutes.
- The examination is completely painless.
- You assume a supine position while your head is inside the magnetic tube. The tube is illuminated, ventilated and also has a viewing window.
- A coil that records images is placed around the abdomen.
- Earplugs dampen the sounds of the MRI machine.
- An emergency bell and intercom system are also available.
- It is absolutely necessary for you to lie still so that we can generate high-quality images. Please let us know if you suffer from claustrophobia.