Cartilage, meniscus, ligaments, capsules and their wear can be examined with this type of scan. Surrounding soft tissues (muscle, tendons), tumorous changes and bone marrow can also be depicted.
About the appointment
Well-informed in all matters
Requirements for an MRI of the joints
- Please bring your e‑card and referral.
- Any previous findings are also to be submitted.
- COVID: The chief physician’s approval has currently been waived.
- The results of a current blood test are required in case you are scheduled for arthroscopic surgery and are also taking blood-thinning medications.
- The body is exposed to a strong magnetic field during the examination.
- It is not possible to perform an MRI of the joints on persons wearing a pacemaker.
- Prior clarification is required in case you have any implants.
- Piercings, jewellery and watches must be removed.
Procedure for an MRI of the joints
- An MRI of the joints takes between 5 and 10 minutes; arthroscopic surgery takes about 30 minutes.
- The examination is completely painless.
- Earplugs dampen the sounds of the MRI machine.
- An emergency bell and intercom system are also available.
- It is absolutely necessary for you to lie still so that we can generate high-quality images. Please let us know if you suffer from claustrophobia.