Cartilage, meniscus, ligaments, capsules and their wear can be examined with this type of scan. Surrounding soft tissues (muscle, tendons), tumorous changes and bone marrow can also be depicted.
About the appointment
We offer this examination at the following locations in Vienna.
Well-informed in all matters
Requirements for an MRI of the joints
- Please bring your e‑card and referral.
- Any previous findings are also to be submitted.
- COVID: The chief physician’s approval has currently been waived.
- The results of a current blood test are required in case you are scheduled for arthroscopic surgery and are also taking blood-thinning medications.
- The body is exposed to a strong magnetic field during the examination.
- It is not possible to perform an MRI of the joints on persons wearing a pacemaker.
- Prior clarification is required in case you have any implants.
- Piercings, jewellery and watches must be removed.
Procedure for an MRI of the joints
- An MRI of the joints takes between 5 and 10 minutes; arthroscopic surgery takes about 30 minutes.
- The examination is completely painless.
- Earplugs dampen the sounds of the MRI machine.
- An emergency bell and intercom system are also available.
- It is absolutely necessary for you to lie still so that we can generate high-quality images. Please let us know if you suffer from claustrophobia.