An ultrasound of the breast is the most important complement to the mammogram and is used as an additional examination in case of palpable lumps, unclear X‑ray findings or very dense breast tissue.
About the appointment
Well-informed in all matters
Requirements for an ultrasound of the breast
- Please bring your e‑card and referral from your doctor to the examination.
- Any previous findings are also to be submitted.
- Please arrive 15 minutes early to your appointment.
- No special preparation is required for an ultrasound performed in this bodily area.
Procedure for an ultrasound of the breast
- An ultrasound of the breast takes between 5 and 15 minutes.
- It is completely painless.
- The patient assumes a lying or sitting position.
- A gel is applied to the bodily region to be examined.
- The radiologist slides the ultrasonic probe over the examination area as ultrasonic images are captured.