A phlebography is a radiological examination for visualising blood vessels in the legs in order to clarify varicose veins or embolisms.
About the appointment
We offer this examination at the following locations in Vienna.
Well-informed in all matters
Requirements for a phlebography
- Please bring your e‑card and referral.
- Any previous findings are also to be submitted.
- A phlebograpy is performed with a contrast agent. Results from a blood test (not older than 2 months) including your renal and TSH (thyroid) values are required.
- A possible pregnancy must be ruled out.
Procedure for a phlebography
- For the phlebography, a tube is placed over the ankle joint.
- The contrast agent is subsequently administered intravenously into the foot.
- Images are then taken rapidly in quick succession. For this purpose, the leg must be turned to the outside and then to the inside according to the radiologist’s instructions.
- The needle is removed following the examination.
Optimally prepared for the examination
Important information brochures, fact sheets and forms for printing, reading and filling out.